19 Helpful Tips on Rearing Children for God
The goal of every Christian parent in life should not to be to rear a “good kid” or have students who are excelling academically, are great athletes, and so forth. The goal is to equip our children, these young saints “for the work of the ministry” (Ephesians 4:12, Mark 10:45). Our goal as Christian parents is to train them to stay on the road of usefulness to God. If, in the end, they are unusable to Christ, they are not handling life spiritually and wisely, both they and we have failed.
1. Make sure to encourage your children to read biographies and autobiographies of Christians of the past. As a young Christian I immersed myself in these books and they were a blessing to my life. We encouraged our children to read these books and it helped them to see how God had worked in other Christian’s lives.
2. Make sure your children hear you pray, and in your prayer let them hear you calling their name to God. Teach your children how to pray.
3. Make sure you show your children how to do personal devotions and that they see you read the Bible and do personal devotions. Make sure you read and explain the Bible to your children. Your personal, intimate, and real spiritual relationship with God will be the most important influence in rearing your children for God. The second will be conveying to your children the way to have that relationship and for them to have an intimate, personal, passionate relationship with the Lord.
4. Make sure you put God first in your life and giving. Make sure that you explain that all money is God’s money not just 10 percent. Make sure that you explain giving to the Lord to your children and that your children see you give to the Lord. As your children are given money or work for money make sure they understand that giving begins at an early age.
5. Make sure your children see you submit yourself to the Holy Spirit. Encourage them to submit themselves to the Holy Spirit. As the Lord works in your life it does not hurt the children to see you come forward in a service and submit yourself more fully to God.
6. Make sure you share your personal testimony of salvation with your children. Tell them how you got saved. Pray earnestly for your children to be saved and make sure they understand the gospel. Seek to see your children come to know Christ at an early age.
7. Make sure your children see you give out gospel tracts to others. Take them on visitation with you.
8. Make sure your children hear you give a clear presentation of the gospel to an unsaved person. Teach your children how to give that presentation.
9. Make sure your children hear you tell others how much your local church means to you. Make sure they understand the importance of faithful church attendance.
10. Make sure your children hear you and your wife tell each other that you love each other.
11. Make sure your children hear you express gratitude to God for His blessing in your life and family.
12. Make sure you tell your children you love them often and consistently.
13. Make sure you explain Bible truth to your children and make practical application of that truth in the daily activities of life.
14. Make sure you explain the great doctrinal truths of the Bible to your children. It is very important to explain how the Holy Spirit works in your life. Explain what it means to be filled (controlled by the Holy Spirit).
15. Make sure you are attending a good, sound Bible preaching and teaching church. Make sure the emphasis of the church is upon growing spiritually, winning the lost, and not activity orientation. Do not look for a church because of the activities it has for children. Look for a church that has emphasis on teaching spiritual truth to you and your family. Look for a church that has the ministry of the Word of God as their primary emphasis.
16. Make sure to guard your children from the worldly television influences, worldly music, and worldly peer and ungodly friendship influences. Make sure to not allow your children to start concentrating on the opposite sex at an early age. Make sure you are the most important influence in your children’s life.
17. Make sure you live a holy life separate from worldliness, evil, and ungodliness. Make sure your life is a testimony of holiness not only at church but home as well.
18. Make sure your children are educated in a Biblical, Godly, Christian, wholesome atmosphere. Do not be deceived that educating your children in the world’s system (which is the devil’s system) will not affect your children.
19. Make sure you are seeking to develop godly Christian character in your children’s lives by proper discipline. A child must learn to obey the first time. A child must learn to never have to be told more than once to obey.
Make sure to discipline correctly and consistently. Make sure you as a parent pay attention and work at proper discipline. It is your responsibility to teach your child how to concentrate. Make sure you always discipline improper attitude and reaction.
“Lo, children are a heritage of the Lord: (means given to us by God for safe keeping for Him) and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”